SMART INSURANCE TIPS
Cyber crime is a hot topic and something almost everyone needs to be concerned about. Not only are businesses of all sizes constantly targeted but cyber crime against individuals and families happens every day. While it’s impossible to completely prevent, there are measures that you can take to mitigate your risk. These include:
1. When setting passwords for your online accounts, use at least 10-15 characters that are complex and include numbers, letters and symbols.
2. Use multi-factor authentication for all accounts where this is available.
3. Never open attachments or click links in emails from senders you do not know.
4. Never use public Wifi.
5. Limit posting on social media, especially when on vacation or away for an extended period of time.
6. Do not allow applications to use geo-location.
7. Never click “Unsubscribe Me” links on spam and promotional email, as that can validate that you’re an active user, which can invite more spam. It’s also possible that the unsubscribe link can be corrupt and will download malware. Instead, mark the email as spam, and delete it.
8. Ask your insurance broker to add cyber coverage to your homeowner policy. Cyber coverage can protect against identity theft, online extortion threats, cyber bullying, data breaches, and more.